Sunday, February 01, 2004

Super (emotional) Sunday

Every month or so it is my turn to be the lector at church. I read two bible passages in front of the congregation.

Last night when I reviewed the passages I was supposed to read, I thought I should probably call another lector and ask to switch Sundays. The second reading was going to be tough. But after I practiced a few times I thought I would be able to make it through OK.

As usual, I said a little prayer before walking to the pulpit. Lord, let me be your instrument. Let me be an effective proclaimer of Your Word. And please, Lord, I especially don't want to cry in front of everyone. Well, I choked up big time right about here:

Love is patient; love is kind...

When I had finally made it through the long reading, after many pauses to take a deep breath, I sat down and thought "Lord, I really didn't want to get emotional". And I immediately heard a response in my head - "But I needed you to".

Several people came up to me after the service and commented that they were moved by the reading. The words were not mine, but God used me to proclaim them in a way that touched people. And I guess that was exactly what I had prayed for.

I have always been ashamed by my all-too-ready tears. I talked to my Dad about it a long time ago, and he told me that it was nothing to be embarrassed about and that, in fact, he wished he could cry.

This was not the first time I have cried in front of a group of people, and maybe it won't be the last. If it serves the Lord's purpose, what else can I say but...pass the tissues.

Here is the reading in its entirety.

No comments: