Wednesday, February 11, 2004

I'm so popular, I'm universal!

I have never considered myself "popular", not in the sense that everybody in high school knew my name - like the homecoming queen or the student council president. I don't even know how popular this blog is, and I don't really care (I believe that if I write something somebody needs to read, God will guide them here, even if it is just once).

But I am very happy to be popular for something I have absolutely no control over or have made any conscious contribution to. Actually, it's not me that's popular, it's my blood. My type is "O negative" which can be given "universally", meaning anyone who needs blood can receive mine without the side effects that come from mixing other types of blood. You thought Everybody Loves Raymond? Ha! EVERYBODY loves my blood type!

So last night I donated a pint and made an appointment for my next donation. (An eligible donor can give blood every 56 days.)

Blood is one of those things you don't think about unless you are suddenly losing yours (bread knife slips, bad paper cut) or you or someone you love needs some. But if you are at least 17, and are in good health, consider becoming a regular blood donor. It doesn't take much time (about an hour total), they let you watch TV (next time I want to donate while Friends is on) and you get free juice and cookies afterwards (mmmm...Oreos and apple juice).

For more information about giving blood, visit LifeSource or the American Red Cross.

No comments: