Friday, February 06, 2004

This LAN is my LAN

The coaxial cable's connected to the modem;
the modem's connected to the router;
the router's connected to the desktop pc
AND
the laptop PC
SO
I what I have here is a LAN (Local Area Network) in my very own home.


I didn't go with a wireless router because I honestly cannot see myself working on my laptop while sitting on the deck or outside on the lawn. The deck furniture is very uncomfortable, and I rarely go out on the lawn at all, and if I did it would not be to work.

The only thing I still need is a KVM switch so I can use the same monitor, keyboard and mouse for both computers, and just switch between them.

What does all this mean? Only that in the years I have been working with computer guys I have picked up just enough technical knowledge to be dangerous.

Special thanks to my friend and network guru Rob, for walking me through the router set up this morning. Mwuah!

No comments: