Thursday, February 05, 2004

The big turn off

Our friend Scott at Some Christian Guy is giving up TV.

My own one year anniversary without TV is this week. I remember because the last thing I watched was the over-and-over again coverage of the disintegration of the space shuttle.

What I have noticed since then is that TVs are everywhere...even my grocery store sells them! On many nights my library card is what saved me from running to the store for a TV and a box of Suzy Qs. Funny how both television and Suzy Qs are temporarily satisfying, but not very nourishing.

I am not suggesting that everyone give up their TVs permanently. I had to because I could not have a TV in the house without watching it. But I have friends who can have a TV in every room, all on at the same time, and still get work done.

What is your relationship with TV? How much TV do you watch a day? Can you do your homework or housework or anything else while you watch, or do you just sit and stare and flip channels? Write me about it.

An organization called the TV Turnoff Network is sponsoring "TV Turnoff Week" in April. You and your family may want to consider giving this a try, just to see what happens.

No comments: