Thursday, January 15, 2004

A movie for anyone with a heart (and tear ducts)

My friend E from work and I are getting together tonight to put the finishing touches on our act for the employee party. We are singing a parody about the computer system we use and the people who support it, to the tune of "They Can't Take That Away From Me", written by George and Ira Gershwin in the 1930s.

While I was working on it last night I remembered that this song is featured in one of my favorite movies of all time - Mr. Holland's Opus. So I pulled out the DVD and watched a couple of scenes. No matter how many times I watch it, this movie moves me to tears.

Mr. Holland's Opus is the story of a musician whose vision for his life keeps getting interrupted by the actual living of his life. He ends up teaching high school music for 30 years, instead of just a few years like he planned.

While the movie is not overtly about faith, it leaves you with no doubt that God's hand was in each move of Mr. Holland's life, because he ended up doing exactly what he was designed by God to do.

And in the end, Mr. Holland would not have had it any other way:

"It's funny...I got dragged into this gig kicking and screaming, and now it's the only thing I want to do..."

If you have not seen Mr. Holland's Opus, rent it this weekend. Curl up with a warm blanket and a box of tissues and enjoy. And then tell me if you don't cry at least twice.

No comments: