Tuesday, January 06, 2004

Go back to bed, or to the gym? Hmmmm

While I am very excited about this new adventure, I promised myself I would not get obsessive and run to my computer every spare moment to write. But there is not much to do at five in the morning when you cannot sleep because your bedroom window faces a parking lot that is being plowed (even though we got no additional snow overnight). "Beep beep beep...scrape...beep beep beep".

Yes, I could go to the gym, where I haven't been in almost a year even though I pay the monthly fee. Actually, it was last year at this time that I was going 2-3 times a week, working with a personal trainer on the weight machines.

After the first week (once the extreme soreness wore off) I was feeling great! My hourly mood swings, for which I was well known at work, were virtually eliminated. I didn't lose much weight because I did not change my poor eating habits for more than a few days in a row. But the sensation of feeling my getting-stronger muscles as I moved throughout the day was fascinating.

What got me to the gym those cold winter mornings was the fact that I had paid for 24 sessions in advance, and there was no refund. Unfortunately, once my paid-for sessions were done, I rarely went back. Why? Because of my tendency to put the immediate gratification of staying in a warm bed before the long-term satisfaction of a healthier and better looking body.

Do you tend to go for the immediate instead of investing in the long term? Do you spend all your money on something you want right now, or do you save some of it for something better you may want in the future?

Hey...the snowplow stopped! There's time for another hour and a half of sleep before I get up for work. Bye for now. (Gimme a break...it's two below zero out there!)

No comments: