Wednesday, January 21, 2004

Dying to look good

Some food for thought...

The news of singer Karen Carpenter's death from anorexia in 1983 reached my ears via the radio while I was sitting in the waiting room at my doctor's office; less than 30 minutes later I left with a prescription for diet pills. Karen Carpenter was 32.

Last week, author Olivia Goldsmith died. Her novel (and the subsequent movie adaptation) "The First Wives Club" is the story of three women dumped by their husbands for younger women. The author died due to complications from anesthesia during cosmetic surgery. She was 54.

American Idol host Randy Jackson just lost 100 pounds in six months after gastric bypass surgery. This is the same surgery that Today Show weatherman Al Roker and singer Carnie Wilson had. The chances of a person dying as a result of this surgery is 1 in 200.

This is my last entry on the subject of weight for now. But my mailbox is always open.

No comments: