Friday, January 23, 2004

Dude, where's my chi?

One of the funniest lines in the movie The Princess Diaries is heard in the background coming out of the loudspeaker outside the high school:

Will the Feng Shui Club PLEASE stop rearranging the furniture on the lawn?

At first I laughed when I read this article about a California lawmaker proposing to put feng shui in the California Building Standards Code. But then I got indignant thinking here is another classic example of government trying to intrude on our lives. I have settled on annoyed...don't these elected officials have anything better to do?

But there is some value in the basic principle of feng shui - that where your stuff is matters. While I don't believe the difficulties of my life can be magically solved by the proper placement of my green plants, I do know it feels very good when my work and living spaces are neat (which is not often as some of you know).

Once you get over your anger at Mom or Dad for making you clean your room when you would rather be out with your friends, don't you feel better once it's done? Isn't it nicer when you can find your shoes or your homework or your hampster without digging through six months worth of magazines or a pile of clothes?

On the show Friends, Monica is a neat freak who notices when one tiny item in her apartment is in the wrong place. In one episode, her brother Ross dates a gorgeous girl who has the most trashed, disgustingly messy apartment ever seen on TV.

Try to settle somewhere in between.

No comments: