Sunday, June 04, 2006

A time to heal, a time to date

As you might have guessed from my lack of posting, yes...I did chicken out of the singles event at the local church two weeks ago. But my lack of attendance did lead to some interesting things.

When talking about my interest-turned-reluctance about re-joining the world of dating, I got a variety of feedback and (believe it or not) a couple of propositions! I guess the modern term is "hook-up", which is what two different male friends offered after I joked about what I really missed about being married (wink wink). I wasn't sure whether to be flattered or insulted. What I was 100% sure about is my values, which do not allow for casual sex.

Then a few days later I was at a wedding. I met a man who used to work with the groom, and we got to talking about dating. He's recently divorced and going on a lot of "first dates". I told him my story and that I hadn't dated in the almost five years I've been a widow. He looked at me with a puzzled expression and asked what the heck I had been doing for the past five years.

I didn't have a good answer for him, so I said "nothing much". Which isn't true. I have been healing. I have gone to school. I have been furthering my career. But I have also been hiding from a part of life that scares me.

For the first couple of years after my husband died, I was positive I would never, ever wish to get married again. That feeling was natural, and it has passed. I now know I do want to get married again. God may or may not want to give me the gift of a new husband, but if He does He's sure not going to deliver him to my doorstep with a big red bow and a tag that says "Judie's New Husband" (wouldn't that be convenient).

The events of the last two weeks have had a profound effect on me (and the hook-up offers kinda freaked me out). A trusted friend suggested that this might just be God's way of telling me that it's time to move on to the next chapter of my life. You see, God wants the best for us and wants to answer our prayers. But we have to take steps too. The outcome is up to Him, but we have to do our part as well.

So watch out dating world, here I come!

2 comments:

connie said...

I found your blog at christmas time and have checked it now and then, you are so tricky and fun to watch from here. But just wanted to say, WAY TO GO! do it do it do it. and good luck :)
Connie in Utah

Anonymous said...

Judie Judie Judie,
Wasssup over their ... a lot as I read and my oh my how time has flown by. You are movin on up in this world and I am so encouraged by reading your great New adventures taking you to, only God knows where, but a positivly, amazing changing chapter. Your sharing in sentiments with how great you write, are so neat and inspiring for me. This is the first time in a while that I have read your updates and I am thrilled to see God moving you into His great plan for you and your life, how well you descibe it. Ecc.3:1-10 Keep the Faith with much love, Eva Shaughnessy