Wednesday, June 02, 2004

Sorry, you stupid cat

It was too big to be a squirrel, too fast to be a possum, too orange to be anything but a cat. A fat orange cat, sort of like Garfield.

And it darted onto a busy street at twilight, at the exact moment and speed to make it half way across before it met my front tire (and my back tire a second later). I braked but couldn't stop in time.

I have been driving for 28 years, so it was bound to happen sometime. I thought I hit a little squirrel once, but I saw it running into the woods from my rear view mirror. That squirrel must have had the best timing ever.

Poor family will miss their cat. I wish I had. Stupid cat.

(A note to you new drivers out there. When this happens there is nothing to do but hit the brakes. If you swerve instead you might save the cat but lose control and hit a tree or another car or a person.)

No comments: