Wednesday, March 24, 2004

Home sweet (second) home

I am in Michigan this week staying with Daniel's brother's family. I am able to work in my old office (the one I transferred from) during the day, and visit with my loved ones in the evening.

Having your heart in two places is a double blessing and painful at the same time. I spent eight years in Michigan, and during that time it seemed I did not get to see my family and friends in Chicago often enough. Now that I'm living there again, I can't seem to get to Michigan often enough.

And it's not just about my families and friends...it is good to be with my Michigan coworkers again. We talk on the phone almost daily, but to sit in the same room and reconnect is a very good thing. Even if the room we are in is a mess (most of my coworkers here are guys...nuff said).

Email and unlimited weekend cell minutes have certainly made it easier to communicate. But there is no substitute for daily hugs, fun lunches, family dinners, shopping trips and quiet evenings.

It would be so cool to have a home in both places and split my time between them equally. I think my bosses would go for it. I just have to find a way to pay for it.

Any ideas?

No comments: