Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Three words

Whenever I would imagine what my life would be like as I approached fifty, somehow being a huge fan of any sport wasn't in my mental picture. And if it had been, I would have expected it to be because the Cubs had finally put it all together and won the World Series. Oh well, maybe if I live to be 150.

But mixed martial arts? Seriously? Yep, that's what I'm into.

Every since watching my first event last August, I've been fascinated by the world of what is also known as "ultimate fighting". I prefer the term "mixed martial arts" as it is simply a more accurate description. Yes, they are "fighters". Yes, there are knockouts and there is blood and even an occasional broken bone. At first glance it is savage. But from the beginning I saw more.

And I've tried to figure out what the appeal is for me. It's not like I have even the slightest desire to get in the ring myself. My entire personal "fighting" history consists of one schoolyard scuffle in sixth grade (that I tried desperately to get out of) and a kick fight with my sister. I think it was about a sweater, and I think she broke my pinky toe (but she was in the right).

And it's not just the natural reaction of a healthy woman to the sight of a well-made man. Although that sure is appealing. There is something I admire about these guys beyond their athleticism and machismo.

Finally, I decided to watch an event and concentrate on coming up with three words that describe the elements of what I was seeing that I most admired. And here they are:

Focus. Passion. Excellence.

(continued)

No comments: