Saturday, March 27, 2010

Three words - Part III

Read from Part I

Focus - As you might have guessed by the way I write (sporadically and in pieces), I sometimes have a short attention span. I might have been diagnosed with ADD if it were fashionable back when I was a kid. And it sure doesn't help that I spent a significant portion of my career in the era of "multi-tasking".

For a long time we believed that we could be more productive by doing two or more things at once...like writing an email while talking on the phone. We have since learned that while it may seem we are focusing on multiple things, our brains are actually just really good at shifting focus rapidly. The problem for me is that I tend to let go of my focus on one thing before I get the job done. While writing this, I've already stopped twice mid-sentence to do other things. When I let that happen I may end up doing a lot, but not doing any of it particularly well.

Watching that MMA event, focus is the first of the three words that came to my mind. The fighters never take their eyes off each other. They are constantly scanning their opponent to find their opportunity to score a point or get the knock-out. It's intense and it's thrilling.

Yes, you need focus in other sports. But other sports are more forgiving of momentary lapses in focus. If you strike out in baseball, you likely have several more chances. Same if you fumble the football or miss the free throw. It's not over until the clock says it is.

Lose your focus during a fight for even a split second, and if your opponent hasn't he will take advantage. Next thing you know they will be helping you onto the little stool in the middle of the ring while somebody the other guy is celebrating his victory. No do-overs. No two-out-of three.

Fighters actually do multi-task during a fight, but they do it effectively. It's during training that their focus is singular. They will practice each move hundreds of times until it becomes almost an automatic reflex. Then during the fight they are able to execute that move the moment they have the opportunity. It's their ability to focus singularly during training and shift focus effectively during a bout that I admire so much.

Because we tend to admire the things we feel we lack in ourselves.

(continued)

No comments: