Sunday, April 27, 2008

Memory lane - Part II

Read Part I

I have only been hospitalized twice in my life. First was being born, then when I had my tonsils removed at age six. A lot has changed since then.

Prices, for one thing. My mother's hospital stay for my birth cost $26 per day. The total for four days including the operating room, anesthesia and drugs - $151.92.

For my tonsils surgery six years later, the doctor charged $150 and the hospital (with lab, x-rays, drugs and the room) charged $134. Oh, plus $35 for anethesia.

And keeping patient records was a little different than today. My first few months of doctor visits were recorded on one index card by hand. The receipts were hand-written also, but the doctor bills were typed. And that four-day hospital stay when I was born...that is unheard of today as insurance companies want you out as quickly as possible.

It is an interesting experience to hold these things in my hands.

continued

1 comment:

TravisM said...

We just had our daughter, and at first (before my company changed policies) we were only going to pay a $10 co-pay, plus whatever RX meds would be needed, at just $15 each or a total of $50 (great policy)... but 28 days before giving birth my company changed policy's (20% in costs)...

So instead of minimal charges, it is now a $900 hospital stay (for 3 days 2 nights, 300 per day) and it was $38 for RX meds... but they actually kept us a bit longer, "just to see"... and we feel like we had world class service. If only my company hadn't changed policies we'de be feeling pretty good!

But boy have things changed... I'm just greatful that we had a good expierence, albeit a little long for labor (21.5 hours, which isnt' included in the hospital stay, and thankfully doesn't count as part of the $300/per day... that was just a $20 co-pay).