Thursday, July 05, 2007

The sounds of silence

A couple of weeks back my niece lent me her car while mine was in the repair shop. It had a different kind of radio/cd system that involved a panel that opened to reveal more functions than would fit on its face.

I say "had" because around day five of driving her car, the panel wouldn't close. I couldn't turn the radio off, change the volume or the station. As I was trying desperately to find a way to fix it, I broke it completely. And so for the last couple of days I had no radio, no CD and no iPod because my adapter was in my car, in the shop.

It made me realize just how very little time I spend in a given day without some kind of audio and/or visual activity. Riding for even the 15 minutes it took me to get to work was a very odd experience because I'm usually listening to something.

Even in my "quiet time" first thing I the morning I'm either reading or speaking to God, without giving Him time to talk to me. This morning in my reading I came across this quote from Mother Teresa:

"In silence we are granted the privilege of listening to His voice."

So I gave it a try. I made a serious effort to be silent and listen. I didn't hear God's voice, unless He was singing the theme song to the TV show "Scrubs":

"I can't do this all on my own. No, I'm no...I'm no Superman."

I suppose it could be some sort of message, reminding me to lean on Him. Or it could just be the song is still stuck in my head from last week, when my nephew wouldn't stop singing it.

Perhaps listening in silence is like any other skill...I need to practice. I'll try again by driving to work without the radio on. And perhaps God will answer my prayer by taking that darn song out of my head!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear Aunt Judie,

I found out about your blog from The Dawn Patrol, and I have enjoyed looking through your postings. This reminded me of a similar insight I had recently during my stay at the Abbey of Solesmes in France,and which I blogged about; the silence was so wonderful!

God bless.

Aunt Judie said...

Thank you. I just read all your postings from your trip. I'm going to Europe soon (God willing...see today's post); and now I am inspired to do a better job keeping my journal. Looking forward to the rest.

Christina Dunigan said...

I didn't hear God's voice, unless He was singing the theme song to the TV show "Scrubs":

LOL! In my case, I didn't hear God's voice unles He was singing Weird Al's "Weasel Stomping Day." Anybody wanna try to find a message in THAT?