Friday, April 14, 2006

Strange new world

One of my favorite old tv shows was the original Star Trek. I was talking to a friend at work yesterday about mission statements, and he reminded me that Star Trek started every week by stating it's mission:

Space...the final frontier.
These are the voyages of the Starship Enterprise.
Her five year mission...to explore strange new worlds; to seek out new life and new civilizations; to boldly go where no man has gone before.


Nothing like knowing what your objective is when you show up for work in the morning!

My personal mission is to live long and prosper (God willing). So I'm about to explore a strange new world in my career. A job opportunity at my company appears to fit me perfectly. Had it come along even just a few months ago I might not have been ready for it. But today I am ready to overcome my fear and put myself out there.

My current boss does not think I am right for it, but that's OK. His opinion is no doubt skewed by the possibility of losing me. If I get the job I will proceed to prove him wrong (again) by exceeding his expectations.

If I don't get the job, that's OK too. What would NOT be OK is not moving forward because I'm scared. You sometimes have to take risks in life, and this is one of those times for me.

Wish me luck!

(to be continued)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go for it Aunt Judie!!!! I hope you are your bosses boss one day.
By the way where are the White Sox Cookies?

Bryan

Aunt Judie said...

There was a White Sox cake at our bake-off, but I didn't get a picture of it.

In the interest of equal time, yes, I will make some White Sox cookies. Someday.