Friday, February 24, 2006

Life Lessons from Music Class - Part II

Read Part I

The other thing about Bach I wanted to mention was that, well, let me quote from my textbook:

Bach was a deeply religious man--a Lutheran--who wrote the letters J.J., standing for Jesu Juva (Jesus help), at the beginning of each of his sacred compositions and S.D.G. for Soli Deo Gloria (to God alone the glory) at the end.
(Music: An Appreciation Fifth Brief Edition by Roger Kamien)

It may have appeared to the casual observer that Bach was writing music just for the paycheck. But ultimately he was doing it for the glory of God.

What difference would it make in our lives if, no matter what we do, we made a conscious decision to do it for God's glory? What if we put aside the notion that we have to impress our friends, our boss or co-workers, the world? Would it change the decisions we make?

I bet it would.

No comments: